Can I give my dog raisins

Can I Give My Dog Raisins?
dog and raisinsIf your dogs have eaten a certain amount of raisins or grapes, take them to your vet or animal clinic as soon as possible. But, if it’s only been several minutes since your dog ate raisins and you can’t get to a hospital easily, you must induce vomiting. A teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide solution per 5 lbs of the weight of your dog must produce vomiting within ten to fifteen minutes. If it doesn’t work, you may try it 1 more time with the same peroxide amount. Never repeat this step more than 3 times in thirty minutes.
If your dog hasn’t vomited, you have to get him to a certain medical professional instantly. It’s a life-threatening emergency as well as requires immediate treatment. Dogs would develop vomiting and gastrointestinal irritation in the first several hours of consumption. Within 1-3 days, signs of kidney failure would be obvious once your dog isn’t treated. Such signs include abdominal tenderness, loss of appetite, tremors, fluid retention, energy loss, excessive thirst, and extreme weakness. This could affect the dogs of any age, size, gender or breed.
Symptoms That Your Dog is Poisoned by Raisins
The raisin toxicity’s immediate symptom is vomiting that typically happens within the first several hours. Your dog might seem better after that for 1 or 2 days and be ill from kidney failure. The symptoms of grape poisoning are depression, dehydration, diarrhea, kidney failure, and so much more.
How to Diagnose Raisins Poisoning?
The vet will stabilize your dog first. He’ll try to perform gastric lavage and vomiting with apomorphine. Activated charcoal would also be used for absorbing toxins that are left in the stomach of your dog. There’s no definitive test for raisins poisoning, yet your vet might be able to find evidence of raisins or grapes undigested in the throat or mouth of your dog. Complete physical exam will be done, which often include heart rate, reflexes, height, weight, respirations, and body temperature.
The vet would palpate abdomen to determine stomach or kidney inflammation. CBC or complete blood count is also done and blood biochemistry analysis, urinalysis, and blood gas assay as well. The vet would get some images with abdomen x-rays to know the amount of the kidney damage that dogs have.
Treating Raisins Poisoning
After charcoal treatment and gastric lavage, the vet would want to hospitalize your dogs for IV fluids. They will also be observed for about forty-eight hours to avoid kidney failure. If the dog isn’t producing urine, dialysis would be used for getting rid of water and waste from blood to support kidneys. The values of blood chemistry such as sodium, phosphorus, potassium, enzymes, and calcium levels must be monitored for seventy-two hours. The medications including dopamine, furosemide or mannitol may be used for anuric renal failure.
Peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis might be of benefit when available. M