Can I give my dog grapes

dog grapeAs far as foods that your dog cannot positively and absolutely eat, there is a chance that you don’t really know what is on top of the list. Many of you probably know the risks of chocolates, for example, but grapes are often a surprise. In case you don’t know it yet, even a single grape or raisin can cause devastating consequences to the wellbeing and health of your pet. Better read on to learn the reason why, and the things you can do when your pooch accidentally munches on one.

Are Grapes Safe for Dogs?

The short answer here is no. Even one or two pieces of grapes that might seem harmless enough could already cause serious illness, or worse, death in some canines. The primary consequence here is a sudden and acute kidney failure. The exact reason for it is not confirmed yet although fungi, heavy metals, and pesticides have been already ruled out.

Although the specific compound in grapes which causes the scary reaction remains to be a mystery, there is one sure thing though, and that is the dangerous toxicity of grapes for canines. It is believed that probably a genetic variant is what makes some canines prone to grape poisoning even though some remain unaffected by this problem.

Raisins and Dogs are Not a Great Mix, Either

Since raisins are just dried grapes, which makes them toxic as well. There are people who say that since raisins are much more concentrated compared to grapes, these are often more toxic. At the end of the day, it means that raisins are a no-no for canines.

Grape Poisoning Symptoms in Dogs

There are times when it just takes just a small amount for canines to suffer from grape toxicity symptoms. The age, size, or overall health of your pet doesn’t have change if your pet will be affected or not. There are dogs that suffer from diarrhea and vomiting since their bodies are trying to purge the poison, leading to dehydration and lethargy.

Symptoms of dehydration in canines include dry mouth and nose, heavy panting, and light gums. However, sudden kidney failure is the riskiest complication that can lead to lack of urine production or worse, lead to death.

Can Your Pet Die from Eating Grapes?

With no immediate care, the answer is yes. A sudden kidney failure is the worst consequence that can happen when your pet eats grapes, causing death in a matter of days.

Ways to Determine if Your Pet Ate Grapes

This is a bit difficult to know since grape toxicity symptoms resemble other illnesses. When you saw your pet eating raisins or grapes, call your vet right away. If you didn’t see the illicit snacking, obviously, you have to call your vet as well when your pet is not his usual self, has a bad case of diarrhea, or vomits.

A favorable prognosis is more possible if your pet only eats a small amount and treatment is given right away.

So, if you want to know if you can give grapes to your dog, the answer is a definite no.