No matter how healthy your dog might be, there is still the possibility that he will get diarrhea. This is why it is important that you know what you can give your pet every time he suffers from diarrhea so that he can return to his usual self in no time at all.
Common Causes of Diarrhea in Dogs
Dog diarrhea is usually the result of many things, such as the following:
* Allergic reaction or food intolerance
* Sudden diet change
* Ingestion of spoiled food or garbage
* Ingestion of any foreign body like socks, plastic bags, or toys
* Ingestion of poisonous plants or substances
* Bacterial infections like Spirochetes, Campylobacter, Salmonella, E.coli, and Clostridium perfringens
* Certain medications
* Inflammatory bowel disease
* Internal parasites like hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms, whipworms, Giardia, and coccidia
* Liver or kidney disease
* Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
* Cancer or other digestive tract tumors
How to Treat Diarrhea in Dogs
If your pet is suffering from diarrhea, it is important that you treat it at the soonest time possible. The diarrhea symptoms are going to pass after one day or so most of the time. Withholding food within a 24-hour period will give the gastrointestinal tract of your dog the chance to recover and rest.
As your dog fast, make sure you encourage him to drink more water to prevent dehydration. You also need to closely monitor the symptoms he is manifesting. Once the 24 hours pass, you can start to ease back your dog onto food. You can feed him 3 to 4 small meals within the day. Settle for easily digestible and bland foods like white rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, cooked oatmeal or macaroni, or foods with high protein content like eggs or chicken with no skin. You can follow this diet until the symptoms of your dog improve, with his routine going back to normal.
It is not recommended for puppies, smaller breeds, and elderly dogs to go on fasting since they need more puppies. Puppies also tend to get dehydrated faster. Make sure you consult a veterinarian first if you think that withholding food is not appropriate for your pet.
Tips to Prevent Diarrhea in Canines
Even though some cases of diarrhea are unavoidable, you can try some things that will help reduce the chances of it from occurring. Follow these tips to ensure that your pet won’t have to deal with diarrhea more often than usual.
* Keep updated with all the essential vaccinations.
* Give your dog a balanced and healthy diet and regular exercise.
* Make sure that your pet doesn’t suffer from parasites.
* Keep garbage and spoiled food out of your dog’s reach and don’t feed him with scraps.
* See to it that your dog doesn’t consume feces or plant material or drink from puddles when you take him out for a walk.
* Reduce the stress levels in his environment.
Diarrhea in dogs is something you have to treat and prevent without wasting any minute to avoid serious consequences.